I adore this recipe. It's quick, easy, delicious and you double or triple it for a BBQ or party.
Lemon self-saucing pudding (serves 6)
100g butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla paste (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
1 1/4 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 lemons - juice and zest
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons of cornflour
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, lemon zest and half the lemon juice. Mix well
- Spoon into a greased 6-8 cup capacity baking dish (I baked a double quantity in a disposable foil oven tray for a party and it turned out great) and spread mixture evenly. Batter will be quite thick.
- Mix together brown sugar, cornflour and remaining lemon juice and sprinkle over batter.
- Carefully pour over boiling water. Pour it gently from a low height or pour it over the back of a large spoon to avoid leaving big craters in the mix.
- Bake at 180 for approx 35 minutes or until pudding springs back when lightly touched.
- When making a larger quantity, double or triple the ingredients exactly, no need for alterations. Be sure your container is large and reasonably shallow, a deep pan will not allow the pudding to bake all the way through and may make too much or too little sauce.
- Check your pudding after 20 minutes and adjust baking time depending on your oven.
- This pudding is just as good the next day. The sauce thickens and moistens the pudding and the lemon flavours develop.
- You could easily make this in the morning for a nighttime gathering. Follow steps 1-4, cover baking tray tightly and refrigerate. Follow the remaining steps just before baking.