Thursday, November 3, 2011

Nikki = Eveningsong Ink

Welcome to Hand Made-n's! Allow me to introduce myself.

I'm Nikki, the arty sort behind Eveningsong Ink. My husband makes up the other half; he's my sounding board, my artist block remover and my bedtime reminder. In the wings are my two children, 4 and 7 months, reminding me that sometimes I have to put down the pen and enjoy the real world.






 I'm the big one ;P

In addition to being a part of Hand Made-n's I also run my own blog, write tutorials, study full time in a Diploma of Graphic Art, work freelance (graphic design and fine art), practice new art forms and love my family. Somewhere in there the housework gets a mention, it's a reeaaaly small one though.

At the moment my life runs on the mantra 'I have all the time that I need, I am free to say no, happiness is the most important thing'. And yes, I do repeat that on a regular basis. It's remarkable how quickly you forget the little things like how you can really say no to a project/invite/job/occasion if you don't have the stress reserves to fit it in.


I am primarily self-taught in fine art and currently focus on painting in acrylics and gouache, drawing in pen, ink and pencil and sculpting in mixed media. Freelance work usually consists of page layouts, logo design, advertising and digital art. I've been promising myself to open a store but find it hard to take that step. It's so intimidating to put your work out there and ask people to spend money on it. But I swear I will, I even plan to become involved in the local art markets. When it comes to criticism of my fine art, I am my own worst critic. I think many artists are. We know what's in our imagination and can see it so clearly that when we give it substance we often find faults.


I love pirates, skulls, animals, fantasy books and movies, paranormal fantasy books, funny books, thriller books, crime books... see a pattern? Black and white, silhouettes, vibrant colours, cooking, snuggling on the lounge watching movies, surfing the internet, getting things to work right. My inspirations are myth, fantasy and nature.

I am looking forward to contributing a little of my crafty chaos to Hand Made-n's and sharing tutorials, recipes and printables.

Thanks for taking the time to read about me :)

Just for fun...
Vegemite or Peanut Butter: Vegemite. On cold toast. With butter. mmm comfort food!
Summer, Autumn, Winter or Spring: Spring
Cats or Dogs: Cats. They are aloof, demanding and have superior attitudes. I appreciate a little spunk in my pets.
Pen or Pencil: Pen
If I were a doll, the accessories would be: Book, summer dress, sketchbook, sunglasses and a bottle of iced tea.
I know how to cook: All the sweet stuff you probably shouldn't eat. I make some pretty tasty 'quick n easy' meals too :D
Scary Movies or Happy Endings: Scary movies WITH a happy ending. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment